Monday, November 12, 2012

Change the Pronoun, guys!

Love you guys (Mayhem in the AM - 790 The Zone) and listen every single day. You're the best. I particularly appreciate Cellini's chatter, Steak's passionate bombasity, Dimino's detached wisdom, all of it.

I'm another Northeast transplant and a Falcons season ticket holder since 2008. I'm thrilled with our team and its leaders and I'm enjoying this great run we're having immensely.

You have a trait that I've been enjoying for some time now...


Whenever you refer to the Falcons in the editorial sense, you always use the pronoun "You". As in "You had the ball in the redzone on several occasions but you just couldn't push it through." or "Now you find yourself 8 and 1 and focused on the Cardinals coming into town."

I found it kind of odd and quirky at first, but I have come to like it as your style. It's one of the things that makes you unique. However, I was really thingking about what the impact would be if you shifted one simple pronoun, and used "we" instead of "you"?

As in "We had the ball in the redzone on several occasions but we just couldn't push it through." Might be a big difference in the impact of the delivery. You guys become much less the detached Greek Chorus, and much more down here on the ground with the rest of us. The reason we all listen to you and love you is that we relate to you. Everything you talk about reinforces this bond... except when you say "You"!

Try it out, and see how it feels!

Go Birds!!!

David Samuel