Sunday, January 20, 2013

Battle of the Trenches


Win...and you move on!

I realize that I am basically stating the obvious here, but this week's matchup with the Niners is going to be won or lost in the trenches. Both the Falcons O-Line and D-Line need to have a great game tomorrow.

By the Numbers:

Niners' Record with 3+ Sacks: Undefeated

Niners' Record with 150+ Rushing Yards: Undefeated

So, what do the Falcons need to do? OWN THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL!

The most important of the two sides has got to be keeping Matt Ryan upright. Given enough time, Matt Ryan definitely has the tools to exploit the Niners' secondary which is not quite as good as their numbers because of such a dominant front seven. With enough time to move through his progressions, Ryan will no doubt be able to find an open window to fit a football in.

The Falcons, again, need to find a way to be as balanced on offense as possible. However, this week that may not be a ground and pound approach, but the screen game with Jacquizz and Snelling could loom large. Doing this will keep the Niners' LBs on their heels, and as they creep in to defend the run and the screen, we should be able to go PA and over the top.

It is not going to be easy. DC Mike Nolan and OL Coach Pat Hill are going to have their hands-full. However, I really do think that both will be able to complete this just enough this week.

My Prediction: 30 - 27 Falcons on top by another late Matt Bryant FG!

Matt Bryant is going to do it again! (Getty Images)

1 comment:

  1. I like this prediction very much. I wish I had time to go into what I'm thinking about this game, but I have to get to work. Let's put it this way though, during the regular season, Michael Turner has had at least 100 carries less than last year. He's fresh, guys. And that's dangerous. We should definitely be able to open that Play Action pass up nicely tonight. Anyway, I have duty. #RiseUp Go Dirty Birdz!

    ReplyDelete